Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thanksgiving not Thankstaking !

It is the time of the year for free holiday meals throughout the city. Non-Profits, churches, and senior centers all have delicious and free holiday meals starting about one week before the holiday.

Last year, when I was "Urban Camping", I ate at about 6 different places, on 5 different days. It was great, and the main meal of the day for me and many others.

This year however, I am only eating at the local Senior Center, and cooking a few things for later at my own place.

You see, this year I have been blessed with paid housing, food stamps, and LEAP utility payments. I don't need 6 free holiday meals, and it seems wrong to eat so much, if not truely in need(just because it's free). Unfortunately, many street people think of it as some kind of scam they need to take part in. They push their way to the front of the lines, thinking "me, me!" Get four free coats and sell three, etc. Even when I was "Camping" I thought that was wrong. Now the tanking economy has created even more need, and fewer resources.

So this year, I'll give up my place for others in need. It's the least I can do.

No comments: