Wednesday, May 27, 2009

PDX Update…Day 385!

I never planned to live here for 385 days. When I left Colorado Springs, I wanted to go someplace new & different. A place I had never been before, without memories and assorted baggage. Never in my now 60 + years did I ever think of living on the west coast. Now I know why...PDX was voted the “Most boring city in America”…. months of rain instead of snow, the rudest people I have ever met, hundreds of bums, and walking insane.

On the positive side, I am not currently sleeping in a dry doorway (which wasn’t that bad), don’t have to wander throughout the city looking for free meals, eating with street trash, addicts, and ex-cons! I have a nice studio apartment, a computer, TV, etc. Materially, I am about at the same level of “success” as when I worked almost full time at a chain bookstore, getting paid 50% less than I got on unemployment in another state! Actually, I think I am better off now!

While I get bored on occasion, I manage to stay busy with a marginal daily routine. I read several books per week, chat with neighbors, write my Blogs and Tweet on the internet, cook meals from scratch, watch news and selected shows on TV, listen to jazz and blues, and ponder the mysteries of life.

When I get my first Social Security check on 10-10-10, I am so out here! I’ll head back east to the upper part of Michigan or perhaps NE Minnesota or NE Wisconsin, find some land and live out my life as a hermit.

No comments: