Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Another Day, Another Donut

My life currently consists of watching the news and 4 hours of prime TV, sleep for about 7 hours, reading 2-3 books per week, skip breakfast, computer time of about 2-4 hours/day, lunch at the Senior Center, a 45-90 minute nap, cooking dinner (last night was roast chicken, scalloped potatoes, & petite green beans). Then it starts all over.

I have been in Portland for two years and have never gone more than 5 miles from downtown (no car, no bus pass, no money).

Yet I have a 26" TV, stereo, computer, microwave, clothes, a studio apartment with bath, food, and free utilities; all of which I got for free, mostly from dead people's apartments or a mission. It is one step above living in a doorway, but relatively stress free, mostly cause of the medications I take, also free!

It is not the life I envisioned getting my Masters in Education at age 45, nor when I was a Business Analyst at a major financial services company until 2005. Much like working for minimum wage, it is survival, something I do quite well.

In one week I turn 61, and a year later will start getting early retirement at age 62. I look forward to having money again, something I have missed for the last two years. My Section 8, assures me I will only pay 30% of my income for rent, and never again will be paying 80%, as I have in the past!

Life is good, most of the time, even without money!

No comments: